Groups are collection of ledgers of the same nature. Account groups are maintained to determine the hierarchy of Ledger Accounts, which is helpful in determining and presenting meaningful and compliant reports. Using this you can generate reports, which are meaningful as well as compliant with laws.
At the highest level, accounts are classified into Capital or Revenue – and more specifically into Assets, Liabilities , Income and Expenditure .
Tally.ERP9 provides you with 28 Pre-defined Groups, of these 15 are Primary Groups and 13 are Sub-Groups . You can also create your own groups, either as Sub-groups or Primary Groups.
The lowest level would be the Ledger Account. All Voucher entries are passed using ledgers.
Tally.ERP 9 has Pre-Defined Ledgers for Cash (under Cash-in-hand group) and for the Profit & Loss A/c (under primary group).
15 Primary Groups
13 Sub Groups
Branch / Divisions
Bank OD A/c
Duties & Taxes
Loans & Advances (Asset)
Reserves & Surplus
Misc. Expenses (ASSET)
Out of the 15 Primary Groups, 9 Primary Groups appear in the Balance Sheets that are Capital in nature and 6 Primary Groups appear under Profit & Loss account which are Revenue in nature
13 Sub-Groups are classified under the 15 Primary Groups and they appear in the Balance Sheet.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Groups > Create ( under Single Group )
2. After giving Name to the Group, In the field Under , from the List of Groups displayed, select the parent group under which the group has to be classified.
For example, Indirect Expenses .
A new group created under primary will not be reflected in reports until you pass masters/transactions for that group.
You can also View any Groups… [Note: In the display mode, group details can't be modified.]
Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Groups > Display ( under Single Group ).
You can also Alter / Modify any Groups …
Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Groups > Alter (under Single Grou) .
You can create, edit or delete multiple groups in Tally.ERP 9.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Groups > Create (Multiple Groups).
2. Select the group category in the field Under .
3. Enter the Name of the group. The screen appears as shown below:
4. Select All Items in the field Under to create multiple groups of different categories.
A new group created under primary will not be reflected in reports until you pass masters / transactions for that group.
Groups can be deleted from the alteration screen. You cannot delete groups from the Multiple group Alteration mode.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info. > Groups > Alter ( under Single Group ).
2. Select the group from the List of Groups .
3. Click D : Delete .
4. Click Yes to confirm deletion.
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounts Info > Groups > Create (Single Group) .
2. Select F12: Configure (Group Configuration) and enable Allow advanced entries in masters.
The group creation screen with advanced options is displayed as shown below:
In the Group Creation screen
1. Enter a name for the group.
2. Enter a group category. If a group is created under Primary you must select from asset, expenses, income or liability.
3. Select the Nature of Group .
4. Select Yes for the option Group behaves like sub-ledger? to allow groups to act as a ledger.
5. Set Nett Debit/Credit Balances for Reporting? to Yes to display net debit or credit balance in the report (whichever is higher).
6. Set Used for Calculation (e.g. taxes, discounts)? to Yes if ledgers under this group have percentages for discounts or taxes to be used in invoice entry. This is displayed while passing voucher in invoice mode and for automatic calculations.
7. Select Method to Allocate when used in Purchase Invoice from the Allocation Methods list to allocate the expense of the item in the ratio of the quantity or value.
Create the Following Groups under various Pre-defined Groups (already given) :
Sundry Creditor (pre-defined) :
Outside Creditor (IGST)
Indirect Expenses (pre-defined):
Salaries & Staff Expenses
Selling & Distribution Expenses
Indirect Income (pre-defined):
Account Groups in Tally.ERP9
Ledger (Create / Alter / Delete) in Tally.ERP9
GST Setup (Activation) in Tally.ERP9
Creating GST (CGST/SGST/IGST) Ledger in Tally.ERP9
Creating Party Ledger (Sundry Debtor/ Sundry Creditor) in Tally.ERP9
Creating Sales and Purchase Ledgers for GST Compliance in Tally.ERP9
Creating Service Ledger with GST Compliance in Tally.ERP9
Creation of Rounded off (+/-) Ledger for rounding the Invoice Value automatically in Tally.ERP9
Creating Bank Account Ledgers in Tally.ERP9
Creating Expenses and Income Ledgers without GST Compliance in Tally.ERP9
You may also like ...
Alter/Modify Pre-defined ‘Sale’ Voucher Types in Tally.ERP 9
Voucher Classes for Contra Voucher in Tally.ERP9
Voucher Classes for Sale Voucher in Tally.ERP9
Contra Voucher (F4) in Tally.ERP9
Journal Voucher (F7) in TallyERP9
Memo (Memorandum) Voucher (Ctrl+F10) in TallyERP9
Optional Voucher in TallyERP9
Payment Voucher (F5) in TallyERP9
Physical Stock Voucher (Alt + F10) in TallyERP9
Post-Dated Voucher in TallyERP9
Purchase Return / Debit Note Voucher (Ctrl+F9) in Tally.ERP9
Purchase Voucher (F9) in Tally.ERP9
Receipt Voucher (F6) in TallyERP9
Rejection In Voucher (Ctrl+F6) in TallyERP9
Rejection Out Voucher (Alt+F6) in TallyERP9
Sales Return / Credit Note (Ctrl+F8) in Tally.Erp9
Stock Journal Voucher (Alt+F7) in TallyERP9
© 2021 : www.tallyerp9book.com